Applies to: Office Accounting Express, Office Accounting Professional
A credit note is a reverse invoice used either when customers return products or when customers are given a credit on their balance, for example, if they are dissatisfied with their purchases (or to make them pay the remaining balance).
Sample customer credit note
Note the following:
- The postings of a credit note are the reverse of an invoice. That means that stock products are taken back and added to stock if they appear on the customer credit note.
- A credit note can be created directly from an invoice. To do this, on the Actions menu of the invoice, click Create credit note.
- If you want to credit the customer, but not take products back in stock, you should use a non-stock product or a nominal account.
- Credit notes are listed on the invoice list.
- A credit note can be settled with (paid to) the customer in three ways:
- By creating a credit note from an invoice, thus reversing the invoice
- By issuing a refund (a payment to the customer)
- By applying a credit note to one or more existing invoices on the Customer Payment form