Sometimes, when you create a document with numbered pages, you don't want the first page to have a page number. For example, a title page or a cover page usually has no page number.
Note If your document already has page numbers, the page number on the cover page is automatically suppressed when you insert a cover page from the gallery of cover pages in Microsoft Office Word 2007. Inserting a cover page causes the second page to be numbered as page 2.
What do you want to do?
Remove the page number from the first page
- Click anywhere in the document.
- On the Page Layout tab, click the Page Setup Dialog Box Launcher, and then click the Layout tab.
- Under Headers and footers, select the Different first page check box, and then click OK.
- If the Different first page check box is already selected, do not clear it. Instead, delete the page number in the First Page Header or First Page Footer area.
- If you want the first page to have a header or footer that does not include a page number, insert the header or footer that you want while the cursor is in the First Page Header or First Page Footer area.
For more information about creating headers and footers, see Insert headers and footers.
Top of Page
Start numbering on the second page with 1
- Follow the steps for removing the page number from the first page.
- On the Insert tab, in the Headers & Footers group, click Page Number, and then click Format Page Numbers.
- In the Start at box, type 0.
Top of Page