|Microsoft Office Visio® 2003
Visio makes it easy to enter important data into your network diagrams, and then display it effectively.
You can use shape custom properties to hold values such as IP addresses, manufacturer names, or equipment locations. Then, using the Visio Label Shapes add-on, you can display these values on your diagrams.
This article describes how to:
Enter data into shape custom properties
The network diagram templates in Visio provide more than a way to create network diagrams, they also provide a way to store network information. Using custom properties, a shape can store information about the network device it represents. For example, a PC shape can store the PC's IP address:
The shapes in the network diagram templates have many custom properties, including part number, product description, and network name.
To enter custom property values
- Right-click a shape, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu.
- In the Custom Properties window, select a custom property, and then enter the data for the shape.
To move to the next property in the list, press the ENTER key.
Tip To enter the same custom property value across many shapes, select all of the shapes first, open the Custom Properties window, and then enter the value.
Run the Label Shapes add-on
The Label Shapes add-on, originally developed for the building plan templates in Visio, also works well with the network diagram templates. For example, using the Label Shapes add-on, you can easily show the IP address for a computer:
You can use the Label Shapes add-on to show the value of any custom property.
To show IP addresses or other information based on custom property values
- Select the shape or shapes to which you want to add a label.
- On the Tools menu, point to Add-Ons, point to Building Plan, and click Label Shapes.
- In the Label Shapes dialog box, from the Shape type list, select the type of shape you want to label.
- From the Label 1 list, select the property you want to use as the shape's label.
- If you want to, select additional properties for the Label 2, Label 3, and Label 4 lists.
- Click OK.