You can insert and link a chart from an Excel workbook into your PowerPoint presentation. When you edit the data in the spreadsheet, the chart on the PowerPoint slide can be easily updated.
To insert a linked Excel chart in PowerPoint 2010, do the following:
- Open the Excel workbook that has the chart that you want.
- The workbook must be saved before the chart data can be linked in the PowerPoint file.
- If you move the Excel file to another folder, the link between the chart in the PowerPoint presentation and the data in the Excel spreadsheet breaks.
- Select the chart.
- On the Home tab, in the Clipboard group, click Copy .
- Open the PowerPoint presentation that you want and select the slide that you want to insert the chart into.
- On the Home tab, in the Clipboard group, click the arrow below Paste, and then do one of the following:
- If you want the chart to keep its look and appearance from the Excel file, select Keep Source Formatting & Link Data .
- If you want the chart to use the look and appearance of the PowerPoint presentation, select Use Destination Theme & Link Data .
Tip When you want to update the data in the PowerPoint file, select the chart, and then under Chart Tools, on the Design tab, in the Data group, click Refresh Data. For more information about how to edit chart data, see Edit data in a chart.
Top of Page