If you’re an admin for Office 365 and have forgotten your password, you can reset your own password by clicking Can’t access your account? on the Office 365 sign-in page. Only admins can reset their own passwords.
Want to see the steps? Check out the video.
To reset your own password, you must have already provided an alternate email address and a mobile phone number that can receive text messages.
For more information about adding an alternate email address and mobile phone number:
Note You need a mobile phone that can receive text messages for password reset only if one or both of the following applies to you:
- Your organization has a custom domain that you’ve set up to use with Office 365.
- Your Office 365 account is synchronized through directory synchronization.
To reset your admin password:
- On the Office 365 sign-in page, click Can’t access your account?. If you don't see the Can’t access your account? link, click your user ID to make the link appear.
- On the User verification page, type your user ID and the characters for verification, and then click Next.
An email that has instructions is sent to your alternate email address.
- Keep the Office 365 browser window open while you go to the inbox where you get emails for your alternate email address. Read the instructions in the email message, and then click Reset your password now.
If you don’t receive an email at your alternate email address, click Didn’t receive the email? on the I’m an administrator page for additional instructions.
- When you click the link in the email message, a security code is sent to your mobile phone only if you are required to have one to reset your admin password.
If you aren’t required to enter a security code, you can skip to Step 6.
Important You need to respond within 10 minutes to both the email and to the text message. Complete the reset process by using the same computer and browser session. If you close your browser window, or take longer than 10 minutes to respond, you'll have to restart the process.
- On the Mobile phone verification page, type the security code you received on your mobile phone.
- On the Create a new password page, type a new password, confirm it, and then click Finish.
- When you receive confirmation that your password has been reset, click the link on the confirmation page, and then sign in to Office 365 with your new password.
More about password resets
Can another admin reset my password? Yes. For Office 365 Small Business, any admin can reset your password for you. For Office 365 Enterprise and Office 365 Midsize Business, you must ask a user management admin, a password admin, or a global admin to reset your password for you. For more information, see Reset a user's password.
What other passwords do I have to change? When you change your password in Office 365, be sure to update the password on your mobile phone and desktop email program to match the new password for your account.