The feature or some of the options described in this Help topic are only available if support for Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, or Korean is enabled through Microsoft Office Language Settings.
Show or hide phonetic guides
- Select the cells whose phonetic guides you want to show or hide.
- On the Format menu, point to Phonetic Guide, and then click Show or Hide.
When phonetic guides are displayed, the button next to Show or Hide is selected.
Note Microsoft Excel automatically adds phonetic symbols only to new data entered in the Japanese version of Excel. If you open files that were created in earlier versions of Excel or in other programs, phonetic symbols are not generated automatically.
Modify phonetic guides
- Double-click the cell that contains the phonetic guides you want to modify, and then click the phonetic guides.
To use the keyboard to move the pointer to the phonetic guides, press ALT+SHIFT+UP ARROW. To return to the parent string that the phonetic guides apply to, press ALT+SHIFT+DOWN ARROW. The color of the parent character string changes while the phonetic guides are being modified.
- Modify the phonetic guides. Do one of the following:
Combine phonetic guides
Divide phonetic guides
- Do one of the following:
- To confirm the modified phonetic guides, press ENTER twice.
- To cancel the changes, press ESC twice.
Change phonetic guide font, type, or alignment
- Select the cells that contain the phonetic guides whose alignment, font, or type you want to change.
- On the Format menu, point to Phonetic Guide, and then click Setting.
- Do one or more of the following:
- To change the font, click the Font tab, and then click the font you want in the Font box. To change the font size, click the size you want in the Size box.
- To change the phonetic guide type, click the Setting tab, and then click the phonetic guide type you want under Type.
- To change the alignment, click the Alignment tab, and then click the alignment you want to apply.
You can apply formatting (such as bold or italic formatting), colors, underlining, or character effects to phonetic guides from the Font tab.