You can change how many heading levels are displayed in your table of contents by replacing the existing table of contents with the one that you want. To change an individual entry, you can apply a different style to that heading in your document.
What do you want to do?
Change which levels are shown in the table of contents
- On the References tab, in the Table of Contents group, click Table of Contents.
- Click Insert Table of Contents.
- In the Table of Contents dialog box, in the Show levels list, click the number of levels that you want in your table of contents.
For example, if you click 2, then all text with the Heading 1 style or the Heading 2 style applied is displayed in the table of contents.
- When you are asked whether you want to replace the existing table of contents, click Yes.
Top of Page
Change the level of a table of contents entry
To change the level of an entry in your table of contents, you need to change the heading level of that text in the body of your document.
- Click the heading that you want to change.
- On the Home tab, in the Styles group, click the heading style that corresponds to the level you want.
- On the References tab, in the Table of Contents group, click Update Table.
- Click Update entire table, and then click OK.
Top of Page