Use the Electric and Telecom Plan template to draw new electric and telecom plans, or to add electrical symbols to existing floor plans.
You can create an electrical and telecom plan on a blank page or as a layer in an existing floor plan.
- Start an electric and telecom plan in one of the following ways:
On a blank page
As a layer in a CAD floor plan
- On the File menu, point to New, point to Maps and Floor plans, and then click Electric and Telecom Plan.
- On the Insert menu, click CAD Drawing.
- For Files of type, select AutoCAD Drawing (*.dwg, *.dxf). Locate the CAD file, select it, and then click Open.
- To accept the size and scale of the CAD drawing, click OK.
Note If the drawing scale of the CAD drawing differs from the scale of your drawing page, you will be asked to match the scales or continue without matching.
- After you have inserted the drawing, you can resize it, change its scale, or move it. You can also lock the Microsoft Office Visio layer that contains the CAD drawing.
Tip To change the properties of an inserted CAD drawing, right-click the drawing, point to CAD Drawing Object, and then click Properties.
As a layer in an existing Visio floor plan
- On the File menu, click Open.
- In the Open dialog box, locate the drawing that you want to use. Select the file, and then click Open.
- On the File menu, point to Shapes, point to Maps and Floor Plans, point to Building Plans, and then click Electrical and Telecom.
Tip You can lock the existing layers of a drawing so that you do not accidentally change them when you create a new plan on top.
- From Electrical and Telecom, drag electrical symbols onto your drawing.