The Office Language Interface Pack (LIP) is a translated User Interface that sits on top of a copy of Microsoft Office, and can be downloaded and installed for free. With the LIP download, you can use Microsoft Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word features in a different language. After you have installed the LIP, you can change languages through Microsoft Office Language Preferences to see a translated user interface.
Nearly all available LIP languages also include a spelling checker. Translated Help is not part of the LIP download package, but may be available as a separate download for your selected language.
To see a complete list of the LIP languages and the features that are included with each language, see Microsoft Office 2007 Language Interface Pack overview.
Important You must install the LIP version that matches your version of Office. For example, if you are using Microsoft Office 2007, you must install the Microsoft Office Language Interface Pack 2007. A 2003 LIP version will not work with Office 2007.
What do you want to do?
Download and install a Language Interface Pack
- On the Language Interface Pack (LIP) downloads page, click the LIP language that you want.
- After you are redirected to the appropriate language download page, click Download, follow the instructions, and then click Install.
Important If you do not have the Genuine Windows Validation Component add-on installed on your computer, the Download button changes to a Continue button. You must complete the validation process before you can install the software download.
- After the validation process is complete, click Run to download the file to your computer. If you are using Windows Vista your user permissions may require you to click Continue after the software downloads.
- Click the check box to accept the Microsoft License Agreement and then click OK.
After the installation is complete, a confirmation dialog box is displayed.
Top of Page
Configure a Language Interface Pack
After you install the LIP software, you must configure your Office 2007 for your new language preferences
Important All Office products must be closed for your changes to take effect.
- Click Start, click All Programs, click Microsoft Office, click Microsoft Office Tools, and then click Microsoft Office Language Settings 2007.
- In the Microsoft Office Language Settings 2007 dialog box, on the Display Languages tab, select the options that you want, for example, the Office menus and dialog boxes, or language priority order, and then click OK.
- Click the Editing tab, scroll through the list of Available editing languages, click the language that you want, and then click Add to move the language to the Enabled editing languages box.
- Click the language to select your Primary editing language. The Primary editing language sets the default proofing tools language (spell check dictionary, thesaurus, grammar checker, and so on). When you open an Office product, your changes will take effect.
Note The Display Language tab is only visible after you install a language pack. If you purchased a language pack, make sure that it is installed. To check which language packs are installed on your computer, see Determine if you need a Language Pack.
If you already have a language pack installed and want to learn how to change the language that you type in or that displays in Step-by-step: Preparing your computer to type and edit text in another language.
Top of Page
Uninstall a LIP
In Windows XP (Classic View)
- Click Start, click Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Remove a Program.
Note In Category View, click Add or Remove Programs.
- In the Add or Remove Programs dialog box, click the Microsoft Office Language Interface Pack 2007 - <language> that you want to uninstall, click Remove, and then follow the instructions.
In Windows Vista (Category View)
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Uninstall a program.
Note In Classic View, double-click Programs and Features.
- In the Uninstall or change a program dialog box, click the Microsoft Office Language Interface Pack 2007 - <language> that you want to uninstall, click Uninstall , and then follow the instructions.
Top of Page
Language Interface Packs
Top of Page