When you want to print Avery labels, cards, or name badges, you can set up your project with one of the Avery templates in Word. All you need is the Avery product number.
To use Avery templates with pictures or different fonts, you can find some of the most popular templates in the new Avery Templates App for Word 2013. The templates are automatically sized to match the sheets in your package.
You can find other Avery templates in the Word Envelopes and Labels box, or you can search for templates on Office.com.
Tip See Mail merge for labels to learn more about printing mailing labels.
Use the Avery app
The first step is to add the Avery Templates App for Microsoft. In the second step, you load the app in your document.
Get the app
- Open a new, blank Word document.
- Click Insert > Apps for Office.
- Click Find more apps at the Office Store.
- Search for Avery, then click Avery Templates for Microsoft Word.
- Click the Add button.
Note You might need to sign in to Office first.
Use the app
- In your Word document, click Insert > Apps for Office.
- Click My apps to see your list of apps.
Note If you don’t see the Avery templates app in the list, click Refresh.
- Double-click Avery Templates App for Microsoft Word.
- In the app task pane, type your Avery package’s product number in the box, or scroll through the list and click the product number.
- Click Next.
- Click the design you want.
The template appears in your document, sized to fit your Avery product.
- Type in the information you want to print.
The next time you want to use the app, click Insert > Apps for Office > Avery Templates App for Microsoft Word. (If it’s been awhile and you don’t see the app listed, click See All.)
Find more Avery products in Word
- Open a new blank document.
- Click Mailings > Labels.
- Click Options.
- In the Label vendors list, click the Avery size that matches your labels. For example, click Avery US Letter.
- Under Product number, click the number that matches the product number on your Avery package.
Tip If you don’t find your Avery product number in the list, follow the instructions for setting up a custom label.
- Click OK.
- If you’re making a sheet of labels that have the same information, type that information in the Address box, and click Print.
If you want to type a sheet of labels with different information, click New Document and type the information you want for each item. Then click File > Print and click the Print button.
Tip To see the borders between items, click the Table Tools Layout tab and click View Gridlines.
Set up a custom Avery project
If your Avery product number isn’t in the list, you can set up a custom project in Word.
- Measure the size of the label, divider, or card and the space between each.
- Follow steps 1-4 above.
- Under Product number, click the number for a product similar to yours.
- Click New Label.
- Change the numbers in the boxes to match your measurements.
The Preview box shows what the different measurements refer to on your Avery sheets.
- After you enter the measurements, click OK three times.
- Follow step 7 above.
Avery templates on Office.com
You can also search for Avery templates on Office.com. Just type Avery in the Search online templates box, and then press Enter.
If you know the Avery product number, just type that into the box. For example, type in Avery 5163 to see a set of templates designed specifically to use the Avery 5163 shipping label. Click the image to get a closer look. To open the template, click Create. Then you can type your information into the template and print it onto your Avery sheets.
Tip When you search Office.com for Avery labels, be sure to include the word “Avery’ in your search. For example, if you’re looking for 5160 mailing labels, type “Avery 5160” in the search box.
Some Avery templates have an Avery® Template ribbon tab with special features.
Here’s how to use them:
Add more sheets
If you want to print out more than one sheet, click Add Sheets. Word adds one sheet to your project. Click Add Sheets again for each sheet you want to add.
Use the same address
If you’re making business cards or return address labels and you want the same information on each, click Same Address. Type the name and address information in the Same Address box and click OK.
Change the alignment
Click the Left Align, Center, or Right Align buttons to change how the text appears.
Note Depending on the template you download, the alignment options might be different. For example, on some labels your choices might be Align Bottom Center, Align Top Center, and so on.
Change fonts and font colors
- Click Avery® Template > Themes to change the text. The Theme gallery opens.
- Move the mouse over the different themes to get a preview of what the different fonts and font colors will look like in your template.
- Click on a theme to select it.
If you don’t like the theme, select another one. Or if you want the original theme back, click Themes, and then click Reset to Themes from <name>.
If the template contains images, the Avery® Template tab has additional commands.
You can replace the image and use your own by clicking Change All Pictures.
To change the image size and scale, click Resize All Pictures.
You can also change images you select in the template by clicking Change Selected Picture.
And if you don’t want any images at all, click Remove All Pictures.
Before you print, place your Avery sheets in your printer. Then click File > Print and click the Print button.