Important notice for users of Office 2003 To continue receiving security updates for Office, make sure you're running Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3). The support for Office 2003 ends April 8, 2014. If you’re running Office 2003 after support ends, to receive all important security updates for Office, you need to upgrade to a later version such as Office 365 or Office 2013. For more information, see Support is ending for Office 2003.
- If you haven't done so already, insert a section break (section break: A mark you insert to show the end of a section. A section break stores the section formatting elements, such as the margins, page orientation, headers and footers, and sequence of page numbers.) where you want to start page numbering.
- Do any of the following:
Start page numbering with 1 after the first page
For example, you can omit page numbers for the document's title page or introduction and then start page numbering later in the document.
- Click in the section (section: A portion of a document in which you set certain page formatting options. You create a new section when you want to change such properties as line numbering, number of columns, or headers and footers.) in which you want to start page numbering.
- On the View menu, click Header and Footer.
- If you want to position the page numbers at the bottom of the page, click Switch Between Header and Footer on the Header and Footer toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.).
- If a header or footer has been defined for a previous section in the document, click Link to Previous on the Header and Footer toolbar to break the connection between the header or footer in the current section and the previous section.
- If there's already text in the header or footer that you don't want, delete the text before inserting the page number.
- On the Insert menu, click Page Numbers.
- Click Format.
- In the Start at box, enter 1.
Start page numbering with a number other than 1
Restart page numbering with 1 for each chapter or section