Important notice for users of Office 2003 To continue receiving security updates for Office, make sure you're running Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3). The support for Office 2003 ends April 8, 2014. If you’re running Office 2003 after support ends, to receive all important security updates for Office, you need to upgrade to a later version such as Office 365 or Office 2013. For more information, see Support is ending for Office 2003.
When you delete a header or footer (header and footer: A header, which can consist of text or graphics, appears at the top of every page in a section. A footer appears at the bottom of every page. Headers and footers often contain page numbers, chapter titles, dates, and author names.), Microsoft Word automatically deletes the same header or footer throughout the entire document. To delete a header or footer for part of a document, you must first divide that part of the document into a separate section (section: A portion of a document in which you set certain page formatting options. You create a new section when you want to change such properties as line numbering, number of columns, or headers and footers.) and then delete the header or footer in that section only.
To remove the header and footer from a section of the document, do the following:
- On the View menu, click Header and Footer.
- If necessary, click Show Previous or Show Next on the Header and Footer toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.) to move to the header or footer that you want to delete.
Note Make sure that the Link to Previous button is not activated in the section or in the following section, or all of your headers and footers will be removed even if you separated the document into sections.
- In the header or footer area, select the text and graphics, and then press DELETE.
To remove the header or footer from the first page only, or for odd or even pages, do the following:
- On the File menu, click Page Setup, and then click the Layout tab.
- Under Headers and Footers, select Different odd and even or Different first page.
Note To make more space available on the page, you may need to change the margins that include space for a header or footer. On the File menu, click Page Setup, and then click the Margins tab. If the content of a header or footer is deleted, but there is still space available for the header or footer, click the Layout tab, and then adjust the From edge settings.