Quick Reference Card
Get to know Access 2007
What you saw in the course
||You see it
|Getting Started page
||When you open Access 2007
||Templates and links to training, videos, and other help.
||Listed on the Getting Started page
||A prebuilt Access 2007 database.
||After you download a template, or when you open a database you have already created
||Tables, forms, reports, queries.
||In the database, on the left side; it opens when you click >>
||Many ways to view your database objects; Object Type is a basic useful view.
||In the database, on the top
||Commands to work with your database.
||Keep in mind
||Tables are often related to other tables.
||Shows data for entry or review
||Data in a form is selected from one or more tables or queries.
||Shows data for printing, display, or interaction
||Data in a report is selected from one or more tables.
||Retrieves the data you specify
||Data in a query comes from one or more tables.
To download a template if you are not connected to the Web
- Start Access, and on the Getting Started page, under Template Categories, click either Featuring or Local Templates.
- Click the template you want to use, and on the right side of the Getting Started page, click Create.
The new database will contain a security warning. If you are new to Access 2007, you can leave the database as it is. Security limits will probably not interfere with your use of the database.
To download a template when you are connected to the Web
Downloading templates from the Web ensures that you get the latest copy of the template.
- Start Access, and on the Getting Started page, under From Microsoft Office Online, click a category such as Business or Personal.
The current list of templates appears.
- Click the template you want to use.
- In the lower-right corner of the screen, click Download. You will see a message that the template is being prepared.
- A Template Help window appears. You can read the help instructions if you wish, or just close the window.
- Your database is ready to use.
To create a new table
- For a new blank table, in the Ribbon, on the Create tab, click Table.
- For a table template, in the Ribbon, on the Create tab, click Table template. From the list of table types that appears, select the one that suits the sort of data you want to enter in that table. Access 2007 will create a new table with prebuilt fields and records designed for a particular kind of data.
To create a new form or report
- In the Navigation Pane, click the table with the data you want.
- In the Ribbon, on the Create tab, click Form or Report. A form or report will be created, linked to the table you selected.
- If you want a form to show data from more than one table, in the Forms group click More Forms and then Form Wizard and follow the steps Access 2007 shows you.
- If you want a report to show data from more than one table, in the Report group, click Report Wizard and follow the steps that Access 2007 shows you.
To share your Access 2007 database with someone who uses a previous version of Access
- Click the Microsoft Office button and point to Save As.
- Under Save the database in another format, select the option that applies to the version of Access your colleague is using.
- Give the new file a name slightly different from the name of your original file. Click Save.
Back up your database
When you change the structure or appearance of your database, you need to save the database to save those changes. Once you save the database, you can't undo those changes. So it's a good idea, if you are planning changes, to back up your database first. Then if you change your mind, you don't have to change all your changes. You can just use your backup copy instead. Here's how:
- Click the Microsoft Office button and then click Open. Select the database that you want to back up.
- After that database is open, click the Microsoft Office Button. Point to Manage, and then, under Manage this database, click Back Up Database.
- Access will suggest a file name, and it's easiest to accept the suggestion. Select a location in which to save your backup, and then click Save.