Use the Access 2007 Task Management Database template to track a group of work items that you or your team need to complete. You can also search and filter task details, show or hide columns, send e-mail messages, and map task owners’ addresses.
Watch this >>
Problems watching the video? Try our troubleshooting tips.
Tip Access 2010 features 5 web database templates that you can publish to Access Services on a SharePoint Server. Then, you can use the database in a browser. Read an article or try Office 2010!
In the video
In this video, we cover the basic steps of using the Task Management Database template.
Prepare the database for use
- When you first open the database, Access displays the Getting Started page. To prevent this page from displaying the next time you open the database, clear the Show Getting Started when this database is opened check box.
Close the Getting Started page to begin using the database.
- To make sure all the database content is enabled, use the following procedure:
- In the Message Bar, click Options.
- In the Microsoft Office Security Options dialog box, click Enable this content, and then click OK.
For more information about enabling database content, see the article Decide whether to trust a database.
Collect data through e-mail
You can collect task information from e-mail users by sending them a data entry form in an e-mail message. When users return the completed form, the data can be processed and stored in your task list.
- On the Task List form, click Collect Data.
- Follow the instructions in the Collect data through e-mail messages wizard to collect data from the specified e-mail recipients.
Search for a task or contact
The Quick Search box lets you quickly find a task on the Task List form, or a contact on the Contact List form.
- Type the text you want to search for in the Quick Search box, and then press ENTER or click Go.
Access filters the list to show only those records that contain the text you searched for. To return to the full list, click Show All Records.
Filter the Task List
On the Task List form, you can filter the list of tasks, and save your favorite filters for future use.
- Apply filters by right-clicking the form and selecting the filters you want.
- Click Save Filter.
- On the Filter Details form, enter a filter name and description, and then click Close.
- Use the Filter Favorites box to apply a saved filter, or click (Clear Filter) to remove the filter.
Show or hide columns
On the Task List form and the Contact List form, some fields (columns) are hidden by default. To change which fields are displayed:
- Click Show/Hide Fields.
- In the Unhide Columns dialog box, select the check box beside each column that you want to show. Clear the check box to hide the column.
Display task or contact details
The Task Details form and the Contact Details form let you view and enter more information about an item. To display the Task Details form or the Contact Details form:
- On the Task Details form or the Contact Details form, click Open next to the item that you want to see.
On the Task Details form and the Contact Details form, you can add pictures and other attachments.
- On the Details form, click + / – Images.
- In the Attachments dialog box, click Add.
- In the Choose File dialog box, browse to the folder that contains the file.
- Select the file you want to add, and then click Open.
- In the Attachments dialog box, click OK.
Note You can attach multiple files for each item, including different file types such as documents or spreadsheets.
Add contacts from Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
If you use Office Outlook 2007, you can add contacts or tasks owners from that program without having to re-type the information.
- On the Contact List form, click Add From Outlook.
- In the Select Names to Add dialog box, select the names that you want to add to the database.
- Click Add, and then click OK.
Display a map of a contact's address
On the Contact Details form, if you have entered a street address for the contact, you can display a map of that location:
The Tasks Database includes several reports, including Active Tasks, Task Details, Contact Address Book, and more. To display a report:
- In the Navigation Pane, under Reports, double-click the report you want to display.
You can create your own custom reports. For more information, see the article Create a simple report.